Thursday, April 25, 2013

State #28!! Alabama!! & The USS Alabama!!


There is just something so tough and so awesome about battleships.  I mean, just LOOK  at that!



The USS Alabama was used to defend our freedom from WWII to Iraq.


You can't help but marvel at all the big 'guns.'


Throughout the tour, we saw many, many missiles like this.  WOW!


You can't help but pretend, your 'one of the guys,' fighting the enemies, when your on this bad boy! ;)



Todd and I even had our 'Titanic moment.....so romantic.....



Uh, WHAT?!  Silly boys :)



Everything is massive on this ship, except for all the narrow passageways and stairs.



I think my kids lied down on every bed we passed!  EEeeewwww.....


There is a church on the ship, but unfortunately, it would not fit more than 20 soldiers at a time.


We also walked through the museum, holding combat aircraft.  Here is one of the Red Tail planes, flown by the Tuskegee men!!  Too cool!



The Black Bird.  Now, that is just 'Bad. To. The. Bone.'



We also ventured onto the USS Drum Submarine.


I have a new respect for all Navy soldiers.  How they can live and THRIVE in such a small space for a long amount of time is just dumbfounding!
I mean, I know that I am living in 400 square feet with 6 other people, but, at least I can go for a walk, or hike on LAND!  These guys were just stuck, out at sea, for months and months!


HUGE Mark 14 Torpedo!
COOL!


The kids loved turning the wheels, pushing the knobs and trying to lock all the doors. ;)



It was a gorgeous day in Mobile, Alabama, with amazing sights to appreciate.  As we walked through these retired vessels, we kept recognizing how different our technology is today, and how far advanced our ships must be now.
Thank you to all the committed veterans who have served and are serving our great nation!  I am in awe of how blessed we are, to be protected by the BEST!


Blessings,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment