Monday, May 2, 2011

44 Degrees in the month of MAY?!? Encouragement for Homeschoolers!

Now, I know, I am from Texas, where it is only 44 degrees for maybe a couple of weeks in the entire season of winter, and maybe in the month of January.....but in the month of MAY!?  REALLY??

This weather is just crazy!  I have had to get out all our winter coats and long sleeves!  It is kind of funny, because we keep putting on shorts, to realize that it is too cold for that! Ha!

The bummer though, is that it is cold and rainy. :(  We are just hanging out in the "Admiral" today and will look foward to the pretty days ahead for our field trips.  In the meantime, the kids are working on the last bit of school that we have left!  Hannah is almost done with her grammar, and has 3 lessons left in her math book! :)  Emily is done with everything, but I still have her read to me, as well as Hannah, just to keep up their skills.  Zach is done with everything, but I have him reading a couple of  books to finish off the school year.  Tanner has finished everything, but is actually finishing his 2nd math book for the year!  He has 6 more lessons and he will be done too! :)  It has really been a productive school year, even with all the moving and packing and traveling.  I am so proud of the kids' hard work.  Believe me, there are days, many days, when we just don't FEEL like working on our school work.  But, we just take a deep breath, and decide to get it done. :) 
I have actually contemplated doing school year 'round in the past, but we have just have not had to do it that way.  They always finish their books by April or May, and are SO ready for a break, (not to mention...Mom is ready for a break too!) that we can finish all we need too in a time frame of about 7-8 months of consistent work.

I honestly think we are able to do this, because I have assignment sheets!  Through the WORD document option on the computer, I just made up my own chart for the kids and I print them up each week.  At the beginning of the week, I fill in their work for each subject for each day of the week.  They can do ALL of it in one day, or spread it out.  It just has to be completed by the end of Friday.  This has been a life saver in our school.  It is simple and keeps us on track.  The kids always know what they are expected to do, so I don't have to constantly explain things over and over.

I was recently asked how long each school day lasts.
 For each of the kids, it varies.  They are in different grades and have different subjects to complete, so it is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. ;)
But, we usually start after breakfast with me reading aloud.  It might be a biography or a science/history book.  Sometimes, it is just a book that teaches a certain time period or lifestyle, like the Little House Series.  But I usually read a couple of chapters to start off our day.  Then the kids get going on their assignment sheets!  By lunch time they are done.  :) 

Think about it.  They have all their supplies, books and papers in front of them.  They finish one subject, and quickly go to the next.  There is no time wasted, changing classes or having to discipline others.  It is a focused time, and if they need to go to the bathroom, they go and get back to work.  It is just that simple.  They know that the sooner they are done, they have the rest of the day for free time to explore, create, or go on field trips! :)  Years ago, I decided  that my goal for my kids' education, was to teach them how to learn.  By the time they have completed 2nd or 3rd grade, (depending on the child), they are able to read the instructions themselves and complete their work on their own!  I just grade their work.  If they have more than 10% wrong, then they have to do corrections the next day, ON TOP of the regular school work.  It is only beneficial to them to read carefully and work dilligently.  It also produces an independent student and not a dependent one. :) 
The blessing in this, also, is that it frees me up as "Mom." :)  I am able to take care of Parker and Emily, clean, or run an errand if needed. 

I LOVE the idea of "unschooling," as long as it is still guided and directed.  I totally agree that children just naturally learn and mature and grow in knowlege.  But for me, I am just anal! :)  I like to KNOW what my kids are studying or learning.  I like to "check off my list" for my own peace of mind. ;)  It is just who I am.  Once I came to grips with this, our school started flowing and we ALL felt secure.  I think that is the key to homeschooling successfully! 

Find what is natural for you and YOUR family.  We are all unique.  Not one homeschool will look like another, and it SHOULDN'T!  :)

I hope this post is something that might encourage someone out there who is praying about homeschooling, or has been doing it for a while, but just has not felt comfortable.  Seek the Lord's direction for you and your family, as in all things!

Remember!  Homeschooling is a blessing and a gift!  We don't know how long we might have this privilege, so find the joy in it NOW. ;)

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for in the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up!"
Galatians 5:9

Blessings,
Steph

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Stephanie!!! This past year has been so freeing because I am finally homeschooling in the way that fits our family! I am not comparing myself to others as much as I used to. God made us each with different personalities, gifts, weaknesses,etc. We are getting so much more done, and I feel so much more at peace.

    Thanks for sharing your encouragement! You are a dear friend and mentor!
    Love you! SO excited to see you SOON!!!! :)
    Jill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend June have me your blog site, she knows that I plan to start homeschooling my son next year. I love seeing that you have 5 kids and you are doing such an amazing job :) I am hoping we will be able to do some traveling so my son can see much of the world.
    I will keep you guys in my prayers
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. We are planning to homeschool next year, I am ready now and really don't want to finish this year at public school but in the long run it will be better to wait. There is also a pretty good chance we will become full time rv'ers at least for a while, at first I was sure my husband was crazy, but after looking at some blogs like your I am just getting more and more excited! Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete