Saturday, April 9, 2011

Remember the Alamo!

We went to the Alamo last week.  I can honestly say that it was SO inspiring.  I have been before, but I did not take my time, or truly seek the importance of this special place.  I am a Texan.  Proud to be a Texan, too!
But, now, I am a thankful Texan.  :)

We read two books this week in San Antonio to focus on the Alamo, and the heroes that fought and died for our independence and freedom.  Susanna of the Alamo (A True Story), written by John Jakes,  is a really easy and quick read-aloud, that we all enjoyed in one setting.  It gave us the perspective of a wife, whose husband, Almeron Dickenson, fought and died at the Alamo.  Not only was he a brave man, but his wife endured more than ANY of us can imagine.
We also read a biography about Davy Crockett, by Tom Townsend.  This was also really intriguing and kept my boys' attention!  :)  It obviously goes into detail about David Crockett and his upbringing, and boyhood, and failures in life, that shaped him into the brave fighter.  Both, Tanner and Zach LOVE this hero, and even the girls found him to be special and exciting.  :)
This lady was giving a "history talk" in the calvary corridores of the Alamo.  She spoke of the battle and the loss, which led to the victory, quite well.  It was really cool when my children would look at me or each other with excitement, when they would recognize part of the story or detail described!  It was a proud "Mommy-moment" when we were watching a documentary video on site, and at one point Zach stated, "This is too awesome!  I know this!  I want to see this again!"  :)  (Thank you, Lord)  :)
Here is the line on the ground in front of the Alamo that signifies when Travis drew his sword, marked the ground, and said, "whoever wants to fight and die for Texas' independence, cross over!" (his words were MUCH more eloquent) :)  ALL, but one poor, soul crossed that line that day.
Thank you Crockett, Travis, Dickenson, Bowie, and many, many more.  I am grateful.

Blessings,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment