Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thankful Ramblings

Today is June 1st.  I am amazed.  We have been on the road, living full-time in an RV, for almost 3 months, and I can literally say that I love this life!  I am so thankful.  :)

Usually, this time of year, I am running the roads, taking the kids to 15 thousand different activities all over town in the scorching, hot Texas sun.  It is SO hot, that we can't camp or even sit outside for very long, because you are literally gasping for air.  We have a great neighborhood pool that we would visit when we had time, and were not racing around town from either basketball, football, piano, or the many church activities.  Don't get me wrong, those things ARE fun, and enjoyable, but it causes us as a family to be out and about, and not together.  It can also cause stress.

I know that not everyone feels like I do. :)  But, I truly strive for a closeness with my family that is different from the ways of this world.  The world might say that we all need to do our own thing, or that it is o.k. to be apart; afterall, we need to be individuals, right?  Well, yes, in some degree, we need to be independent and strong, but in the area of selfishness or individualism?  It is SO easy to be selfish or self-centered, and expect everyone around us to just "deal with it." 

Years ago, families did everything together.  My Mema has told me many stories of when my dad and aunt and uncle would all go to games TOGETHER, and how they would work and play TOGETHER.  They remember those times as "the good ole' days."  Well, I want the "good ole' days" too!  :)

I know that our society is different today, but our priorities do not have to change!  My family is a blessing; a gift from the Lord.  I do not want to take it for granted, or look back 20, 30 years from now, if I am still living, and be filled with regret because I did not spend enough time with my kids or my dear husband.

Enter this lifestyle.....
We are together A LOT.  Every day.  All day......I am thankful.
Is is perfect?  Absolutely NOT!  Ha! 
Do we have stress?  YES!---Todd's computer was not working correctly a few weeks ago, then his scanner wasn't working, then he had an adjustment with his new phone that needed to be corrected, and then our 5- spot wasn't working right.  We had our first experience with a MOUSE in our home!  YUCK!  It stayed in Kansas....we think!  :)  The kids argue, and bicker.  We get on each other's nerves sometimes and have to show A LOT of grace and patience. 
Living in an RV is an incubator for sanctification!! 
We pray about the weather, our travel safety and the dependability of our "home on wheels" all the time!

But, we are together.  :)
We are growing, and maturing and being stretched in ways that we haven't before.  It is good, even when it may not FEEL good, it IS good for us!
We are in Iowa at a state park that has a swimming beach on the property.  The kids had so much fun digging in the sand and swimming and playing together.  :)  My older kids, with my younger kids, playing and enjoying each other. :)  It is only 80 DEGREES!! :)

Do we have bad days, or stressful days?  Yes! 
I hope that anyone who may be considering this lifestyle realizes that.
But, at the end of the day, I can honestly say, with out hesitation, that I am thankful. 
I do not know how long we will get to travel on this journey, but for now, I am soaking all of it in and counting my many blessings!

Blessings,
Steph

1 comment:

  1. Steph,
    This was one of your most beautifully written posts! (Alan and I agree on that!) It was so heartfelt, honest, and encouraging! Thanks for sharing your journey with us! It is so fun to see all the places you are going!
    Praying you have continued safe travels!!!

    Love you and miss y'all!
    Jill :)
    P.S. I found someone's black socks by the couch...not my boys!!! We will just have to come meet up with you when you come travel to Illinois :)

    ReplyDelete