Sunday, September 11, 2011

Golden Gate Bridge & other Highlights!!

I just can NOT believe that I am in California!  This is so crazy.  :)  I never would have thought that I would be traveling America.....yet, here I am, with my family, seeing monuments and national parks, meeting wonderful people, and having an experience of a lifetime. 

Last week, we visited a place, I honestly thought I would never see.  Not, that it is a place I LONGED to see, but just such a popular, commercialized place that I would never see. 

The Golden Gate Bridge!!!  (it was so foggy, that we could not see the top!) 
 The bridge is over a mile long!  Todd and the boys watched a documentary about the 1930's construction of the bridge, where 11 lives were lost.

San Francisco is an interesting place.  I could NEVER live here for MANY reasons, however, it is interesting to drive around one city, with so much culture.  There is a section called, 'Japanland,' even. :)
Some of the streets were a little frightenting, for they seemed to go vertically!  HA!  We even drove on the curviest (is that a word?) street in AMERICA; Lombard Street.  :)  Talk about nerve-racking!!!
 Millions of people live here, and the homes are literally on top of each other. 

We went to Maritime National Historical Park and explored through five different retired ships!  Too Cool!
A lesson on ratios.  :)




 Walking through the cabins, mess hall, captain's quarters, galleys, decks and bows, were enlightening.  It made me appreciate a sailor's life all the more.  :)
 A view of Alcatraz Island.....

 beautiful views of sailboats........

 The ever popular, Fisherman's Wharf,  and Pier 39 with its view!  :)

 It is funny how these big guys perch themselves here, paying absolutely NO attention to all the many spectators.

 This comedian juggled fire, swords and 'attacked' this poor child with a carrot of all things!  :)

This was the first time the Ranger had Tanner read the oath, for the rest of the kids to repeat. 
This makes 23 Jr. Ranger badges earned for the Golden Gang!  Whoo Hoo!


Blessings,
Steph

1 comment:

  1. San Francisco is such a fun place! You're right...I wouldn't want to live there, but it's a GREAT place to visit! I went there as a senior in high school and visited Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, and the Japanese Tea Gardens. These stuck in my mind after so many years ;-) Thanks for the udpates on your adventures. We LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete